Salads are awesome. The best part is that they can be made out of just about anything. I had some veg that I needed to use up, and since I was coincidentally going to a friend’s house for dinner last night and I can’t very well show up anyplace empty-handed, I threw this quick little dish together.
– 1 bunch asparagus, ends snapped off
– 1 8oz package cremini (baby bella) mushrooms, sliced (you can buy the pre-sliced; I won’t tell anyonw)
– several handfulls baby arugula
– 1 head romaine lettuce, sliced thin (or torn into chunks)
– 2 avocados, pitted, peeled, diced, and tossed with a smidge of lemon juice
– 2 vine ripe tomatoes, cored and diced
– crumbled bleu cheese (not sure about the amount; I just grabbed some that I’d had leftover)
The method: (and this does take some time, so be aware of that.)
– preheat oven to 400 degrees.
– toss mushrooms and asparagus in oil, sprinkle with salt, and roast until tender (about 10 – 12 min for mushrooms, maybe 15 for asparagus – you want the asparagus tender and slightly caramelized)
– cool completely. cut asparagus into 1-inch pieces
– throw arugula and romaine into salad bowl and toss to mix.
– top with asparagus, mushrooms, bleu cheese, avocado, and tomato.
serve with a balsamic vinaigrette (if desired) or any other dressing you like.