These are basically the best waffles ever. They came out super fluffy… possibly because of the buttermilk? And had this really great sweet/tart balance. Perfect with fresh fruit and whipped cream, and/or syrup.
… Chicken and waffles, anyone? This was adapted from Emeril’s recipe for fried chicken and buttermilke waffles. (http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/emeril-lagasse/fried-chicken-and-buttermilk-waffles-recipe/index.html)
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 tablespoons sugar (this is basically the only change I made to the recipe)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 large eggs
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 1 1/2 cups buttermilk
- a couple shakes of cinnamon
The method (in my words here; “real” recipes tend to get overly wordy):
- Preheat your waffle iron.
- Mix the dry ingredients together.
- Mix the wet ingredients together.
- Combine the two and mix well until there are no lumps.
- Pour batter into waffle iron and cook until golden brown and slightly crispy.